Really Good Movies

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Solaris

Movie: Solaris
Watched with: Angelo

This is a strange, eerie movie about an intelligent planet that creates copies of the loved ones of the people on a nearby space station. It's a remake of a Soviet movie from the 70s.

It was pretty good--intelligent and emotional, with good performances and good effects (not that the latter mattered much to the story), but I couldn't help but feel like it should be better.

Smart scifi movies are pretty rare--the best you can usually hope for is an occasionally thoughtful punchfest like Minority Report--so when one comes along, I guess I expect a lot from it.

I wouldn't call Gattaca brilliant, but this isn't as good as Gattaca.

Maybe I'll rent the old commie one. Or read the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home