Really Good Movies

Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Valley of Gwangi

Movie: The Valley of Gwangi (1969)
Watched with: Angelo and John

I read several reviews of Nacho Libre where they said it wasn't bad, but that considering the material they had to work with (Jack Black and Mexican wrestling), it seems like it was worse than it should be.

That's kind of how I feel about The Valley of Gwangi. It's about COWBOYS AND DINOSAURS!
Watch this clip and tell me it doesn't look great.

Unfortunately, the movie does relatively little with its great premise. It has some neat dinosaur shots, and the cowboy stuff is kind of funny, but the story is plodding and obvious, basically a rehash of King Kong without the emotional core of that story.
They bring the dinosaur back to the town, everyone runs away, it gets set on fire and dies. No drama.

Even the effects are pretty unexciting. They're not any better than in Mighty Joe Young two decades earlier*, and the dinosaurs are garish colors that make them look like models.

The Valley of Gwangi is still probably worth seeing just because it's so bizarre, but in a way I kind of wish I hadn't rented it, because the version I had imagined in my head was so much cooler.

--
*Some shots in Mighty Joe of cowboys roping beasts were actually intended for a 40s version of Gwangi that never got finished!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home