Really Good Movies

Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari

Movie: The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (1920)

Watched with: Angelo and John

The video store was closed for the holiday so we watched one that I owned.
I really like Caligari because, aside from just being cool-looking, I admire it for being a "horror" film more for the way it generates unease than for any shocks (though it does have a couple).

It's a really strange, awesome (in the literal sense) movie that holds up incredibly well.

This is, however, the first time I watched the copy I bought for $5 all the way through.
For the most part, it's acceptable (no tints and medicore music, but the movie's the movie), then every once in awhile they'll do something really horrible, like reveal the dialogue on a note in white writing on a gradient blue background, almost like an FBI warning.
The copy I have was made from the royalty-free version, not the nice restored version, you see.
If you don't mind watching on computer, you can actually just legally download the whole thing yourself.

It's basically the same, so I doubt I'll be rushing out to buy the nice edition soon, but a part of me wishes I would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home