Really Good Movies

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Pollock

Movie: Pollock (2000)
Watched with: Nikki

Bio-pics always seem kind of jumpy because they cover a much larger time frame than a regular movie, since they feel curiously obligated to cover the entire interesting part of the subject's life.
Rather than trying to minimize this, Pollock tries to use it as a deliberate artistic effect, and the result is just jumbled and hard to follow.
I guess that's appropriate to a movie about Jackson Pollock in a way, but it's kind of frustrating to watch (though, to be fair, I was pretty tired).

That said, I thought Ed Harris gave a really good performance. A few months ago, I watched American Splendor the day after seeing Harvey Pekar at a signing and it struck me how much weirder Paul Giamatti had made him, like he had to play up Harvey's idiosyncracies to an absurd degree to make him an interesting character. While of course I never met Jack Pollock, I admired the way Harris made him seem somewhat unusual and eccentric without acting like he was just a total freak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home