Really Good Movies

Monday, September 11, 2006

The Great Gatsby

Movie: The Great Gatsby (1974)
Watched with: Nobody again!

I think that in order to make a really good movie out of The Great Gatsby, you'd have to downplay the period elements. It would be bizarre to set it in the present, but by devoting most of the attention to period costumes and cars and blah blah blah, it feels more like watching a particularly tiresome Jane Austen movie than Fitzgerald's powerful novel.

The movie is faithful in a really bland way. They don't take any real liberties with the source material, but they bury it under obnoxious glitz. I like Robert Redford a lot, but he's too suave to make a good Gatsby and everyone else is pretty much forgettable.

I found out later that my mom saw this in the 70s and considers it one of the worst movies she's seen.
My mom grew up in a world without Dracula 3000 and Kaena: The Prophecy, so I can't really say the same, but it certainly is far worse than it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home