Really Good Movies

Friday, August 18, 2006

Being John Malkovich

Movie: Being John Malkovich (1999)
Watched with: Angelo and John

This might be one of my favorite movies. I kind of don't like the idea that the only thing keeping people from being evil to each other is being afraid of the consequences, but maybe that's true for some people.

Anyway, aside from that, it's really funny and weird and kind of pretty in its way.

Scifi writer Orson Scott Card (of Ender's Game fame) said about a year ago, "For the past few years I've been telling people that there are only a handful of truly brilliant sci-fi movies, and most of them are by Charlie Kaufman."

I like that this story could have easily been a Twilight Zone episode but they made it artful and weird instead of loud and stupid like too many scifi movies.

I'm sure a lot of people would deny that this is a scifi movie cause they're snoots. I guess other people might deny it because there's no science in it (unlike Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) but it definitely falls into the general category of speculative fiction and beyond that I, for one, don't care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home